Friday, March 9, 2012

From the Live It Learn It Office

Quay Dorsey, LILI Teacher, shows students a surprising image related to slavery

When I was in 6th grade, I visited the site of the battle at Gettysburg, where my peers and I were free to aimlessly roam around the open field. Later that night, we also went on a ghost walk where we explored "haunted" locations in Gettysburg. Upon returning home, the only story I had for my mother was related to the creepy ghost walk - which was clearly not the purpose of the trip.

Students contemplate various motivations for participating in the slave trade. 

Live It Learn It has a unique approach to learning outside the walls of the classroom that I wish I experienced as a student. Every day I get to engage young people in critical learning at monumental locations around our nation's capital. Recently, I had the opportunity to teach 4th grade students about colonial slavery. First, in the classroom, students learned about the daily plantation life of slaves, the Underground Railroad, and the history of American slavery.

A students tries out a yoke used to transport water.

Then we visited Woodlawn Manor, an actual Quaker plantation, where students were able to try their hand at some common chores that slaves would have done --- crushing corn, carrying water, and churning butter. Students also had the opportunity to explore a simulated UGRR path at the plantation. What did students have to say about the experience?

I loved the trip because I learned so much!” – Treasure G.
Live It Learn It is the best thing that ever happened to me.” – Isha C.
Live It Learn It has inspired me in so many ways. Thank you.” –Debbie P.

Why did the students react so different than I did on my trip to Gettysburg? Because, with Live It Learn It, students are fully engaged because they can make direct connections from classroom learning to the academic trip. As a teacher, I find this experiential learning model far more engaging and inclusive of all students. In short, my job is awesome!

No comments:

Post a Comment