Monday, September 24, 2012

One Thing Teaching Has Taught Me
by Erica Harper

One of the most poignant lessons teaching has taught me is to celebrate the little victories. When I first began teaching, I was like most recent graduates -- bright-eyed, bushy-tailed, and uber-idealistic. I was convinced I would have students reciting Shakespeare and using the Pythagorean Theorem to unlock some mysteries of the universe in no time. Reality proved to be quite different, and I quickly realized that if I was going to continue teaching, I needed to meet my students at their level. Every child I worked with wasn't guaranteed to be a baby Einstein, but that didn't mean they couldn't succeed. And even success looked different for each student.

That student that is never prepared, but shows up one morning with two finely sharpened pencils ready to work? VICTORY! That student that never talks, but perks up during my lesson on the solar system and even chimes in to answer a question? VICTORY! The student that never smiles, but finally returned one after months of working with her? VICTORY! The student who can barely read, but proudly recited MLK's "I Have a Dream" speech on the steps of the Lincoln Memorial? VICTORY!

I had to learn to appreciate these victories as they came, and was struck with how much there is to celebrate when you change your perspective.


No comments:

Post a Comment